May 11, 2013

Taiwander: My first is in Taiwan =)

But that's the glory of foreign travel, as far as I am concerned. I don't want to know what people are talking about. I can't think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can't read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can't even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses. 
Bill Bryson, Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe

Right now, I have made myself believe that one of my purposes in life is to understand the world and its people through travelling without prejudice. Easier said than done when you still value society's advice to save first for your future. Perhaps, the only way to do it is (1) book that flight (and worry about the finances later - follow at your own risk, HAHAHA), and (2) be mindful of your thoughts about others. 

Pre-departure: VISA application

Prior to this trip, I am guilty of having prejudices against Chinese due to the hassles I've gone through in getting a visa to Taiwan. I found all the TECO representatives to be rude and disrespectful, but after thinking about it carefully I've accepted that they were very efficient in doing their jobs. And sometimes, one cannot be efficient and nice at the same time. 

Departure: Immigration interview

Often, anticipation is worse than the actual situation. This is my first travel abroad, and I'm alone. You could imagine how uneasy I was feeling. During the immigration interview, I was asked if I was excited, I told her that I was scared. She jokingly asked me if I would rather not go and she would just deny my visa. Eeeep.

Arrival: Taipei and around

It is very easy to go around in Taipei - that's saying a lot coming from someone who lacks average navigation skills. I didn't get lost in Taipei (Holla! I always get lost in Manila.) HAHAHA. 

Maokong Mountain

Riding a gondola to get to Maokong Mountain

Taipei Exhibit

Art Revolution Taipei Exhibit: Fascinating night sky

Art Revolution Taipei Exhibit: We all have the same goal

Taipei 101

View from 89th floor of Taipei 101

Tamsui Fisherman's Wharf/ Lover's bridge

kainis, puro lovers nga. HAHAHA

Shilin Night Market

So many people, and food, and things to buy (but not for a cheap price)

The people are disciplined, healthy-looking, and fashionable! I have nothing but praise for the country.

National Taiwan University

The only photo I got in Taiwan. HAHAHAHA 

Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall

The exhibit inside is also worth a visit 

Doesn't Chiang Kai Shek always smile in his photos?
Pogi pose

Longshan Temple

It was a Sunday when I visited Longshan. People were praying and having some offerings. As I walk inside, I can hear their chants more. And it was getting louder, people were standing up and some women were crying. I was struck with awe. I don't know what it's called, but I felt something. After witnessing their chants, I went out immediately because I felt like a nuisance in whatever they were doing. I felt like I was not giving them privacy of sort - but that's just me
Longshan from the outside

People chanting
People offering food

Huaxi Night Market / Guangzhou Night Market

Huaxi street is like Divisoria. It is where you see people wearing normal clothes, you see beggars on the streets, sidewalk vendors, etc. It is a place where you feel that pickpockets are nearby. It kind of awakened the alert being in me. I didn't stay long in this place, but I'm happy and thankful that I saw this part of Taiwan. I didn't want to form a one-sided opinion about the country. 

Before going back

My early days passed by so smoothly that I became too relaxed and fell asleep on my way to the airport. The driver got frustrated because I can't speak Mandarin so he gestured that I get off the bus. As a result, I got lost in a nearby province in Taiwan. Good thing, I spotted some OFWs who were nice enough to help me. One OFW even gave me her cheeseburger when she found out that I haven't eaten yet T.T

Dan (from Wisconsin) who was with me in the bus to the airport also helped me communicate with the driver. We talked about each other until my boarding time. He works at the Grand Canyon (National Park Service?) as ... actually....I didn't understand his work HAHAHA but he seemed very happy with it. He's an optimistic fellow.

I have observed that you will definitely meet inspiring and like-minded people when you travel. Just thinking about it makes me giddy, yay!

Arlet

P.S. 

My first out of country destination is in Taiwan, and you know what I say about first? It always gets followed by a second (and a third, a fourth, a fifth...)

P.P.S.

As dumb as it sounds, I wanted to go outside the country to see if the colors are really different. HAHAHA I was curious to see if the photos posted by my foreign friends are indicative of the colors of the environment they are in. In the end, it was just a filter effect; the colors are more or less, the same. HAHAHAHA  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice post! I'm a bit hesitant to go to Taiwan but your story made me wanna try it soon. =)

      Delete
    2. Hi Lizzie! Yes, do try to visit soon! However, I'm a bit worried with the recent issues between Taiwan and the Philippines, but generally, it's a tourist-friendly country :)

      Delete
  2. why did you choose taiwan as your first destination abroad?curious lang hahaha.ang gusto ko mapuntahan jan yung museum nila kasi anjan pala ang karamihan sa mga gamit from the forbidden city sa beijing.nilipat nila jan ,di na naibalik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melvin! I was supposed to travel with someone, that person was the one who wanted to go to Taiwan bec according to him, Taiwan is not a popular tourist destination. Hindi sya natuloy e, sayang naman yung nagastos ko kung icacancel ko, so I proceeded anyway. HAHAHAHHA

      Yung museum na sinasabi mo ay yung nasa Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall ata - yung dinala ni Chiang Kai Shek pagalis nya ng Tsina, cool nga yung mga gamit dun!

      Delete

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!