October 9, 2011

Introducing iMak: now, it’s personal

No guys, I am NOT, in any way, trying to insult the invention of the late Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs. Well, this post will not be about him, at the very least. If you remember, the morning that Steve Jobs's death was announced to the public, an internet photo spread like wildfire.
The design symbolizes the missing piece, yet the lingering spirit of Mr. Jobs on apple

This was made by a 19yr old design student from Hongkong, Jonathan Mak. He first made the design when Steve Jobs stepped down as Apple’s CEO but it didn’t get that much attention back then. However, when he reposted it last Thursday, it got massive attention from the public and from different companies who immediately tried to buy the copyright for the logo.
He said on his twitter, that it was all so surreal to him. He was receiving hundreds of tweets, messages, and even some job offers. Even Ashton Kutcher made the design his profile photo. He called it his 15 minutes of fame.
This somehow made me thinking, could I have done it? Sure, I’m not a design student, but could I have done something?something else that would illicit this effect? Of course! I thought to myself. Yes, the design was genius but it wasn’t the design alone, not the social media and the internet alone.
It was the timing. I’m not implying that we should wait for someone to die to have a good opportunity to do something remarkable. I’m saying that, you should be there at the right time, with the right thing, and the right medium. Everything has to be fitted together like a smooth-functional zipper.
AND this can only be done if you go to different places, meet with different people, read on different things, practice different media, experience everything- or at least most of the things. Be ubiquitous. This reminded me to always, and constantly improve myself, to widen my horizon, and explore the world. I don’t know, I felt that, this is somewhat inspiring for me, well, maybe it’s the fact that he’s the same age, and he has already made a mark on arts -or the internet.
It might be that little voice from my childhood that is telling me all these. After all, it was once my dream to be an animator and be someone's favorite artist, and then I grew up, learned about capitalism, profits, and returns, was later discouraged to take graphics and design, and have forgotten that dream. HAHAHAHA never mind that, I love OrCom now :D besides, no one is stopping me from doing what I want, I can still very well follow my dreams. 
Here is a link to Jonathan’s online portfolio: http://cargocollective.com/jmak

1 comment:

  1. "AND this can only be done if you go to different places, meet with different people, read on different things, practice different media, experience everything- or at least most of the things. Be ubiquitous."

    Spot on! :) Stay inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!