February 7, 2014

Moalboal & The Friends That I Won't Make

An almost sure way to disappoint me is to let me see you litter anywhere near mountains or seas.

Moalboal, Cebu

During my backpacking escapade in Cebu, I visited Moalboal (pronounced as Muwalbuwal). It is a homey quiet white beach, very different from the bright lights and loud music of Boracay. And because I was short on budget (as always), I stayed at the public area of the beach instead of getting a cottage in a private resort.

Sadly the public area is not that well maintained. There were lots of plastics, food wraps, and water bottles floating in the water and/or lying on the beach.  Of course, my obsessive compulsiveness (and concern for nature, NUUKS, HAHAHAHA) kicked in. I ended up just picking trashes around the area.

Doing so felt good, until a guy, who clearly saw what I was doing, threw a water bottle to the sea. He was standing right in front of me.

I was dumbfounded. I felt insulted and annoyed that I recklessly shouted NO! at him. He just gave me an equally baffled look - as if gesturing a "what, what did I do?" kind of look.

I walked away, and just sighed my disappointment.
We cannot say we love nature (or the sea, the beach, and/or the mountain), and yet continue to hurt it in more ways than we can imagine.

Disappointed,
Arlet

Other Cebu related posts
Was it a Mistake to See the Whale Sharks (Oslob, Cebu) - January, 2014
Sinulog is One Proof (Cebu City, Cebu) - January, 2014
Zero Visibility: Following the Melody (Osmena Peak, Cebu) - January, 2014
Is Seeing Alone Satisfying? (Kawasan Falls, Obong Spring, Dakong Bato - Cebu) - January, 2014
For the Love of Good Old Times, Choose Cebu - January, 2014

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I noticed that too while I was in Moalboal. During my snorkeling experience to see the sardine run, I also found plastic bags under the sea. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will get better, I hope. One by one, maybe travelers and locals will be more responsible.

      Delete

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!