December 31, 2014

Taking it Slow (Baler)

When I was a child, I found days to be slow, but I never wished for it to go faster. Now that I’m older, it seems as tho days are always in a hurry to be over. Often I find myself wishing it would go slower – stop even.

The pace of life in Baler reminds me of my life back in the province (and Siquijor for some reason). I like it.


A. Getting There

From Manila, you can ride a Genesis bus to Baler. Regular trips costs 450php while deluxe trips via Joybus costs 700php. Genesis doesn’t have reservations for regular trips so be at the station earlier than scheduled. Also the road to Baler is bumpy, it is wise to stay away from the back seat of the bus.

B. Places to Visit

1. Oldest Balete Tree in Asia

According to locals, this Balete tree, which is about 600 years old, is the oldest in Asia. In the past, visitors were allowed to climb the tree, but to preserve it better, guests are now prohibited to do so.


2. Ditumabo Falls / Mother fall

Getting to Ditumabo Falls will take a short trek from the foot of the mountain. Be prepared to get wet up to waist level. The current can be a bit strong so make sure that your sandals are properly attached to your feet.


3. Baler Museum
Baler museum houses stories of significant events in the province.


4. Dona Aurora House
The house is just on the next corner from Baler museum. It is a simple, cozy, and old Filipino house. The study room is inspiring


5. Ermita Hill

In December 1735, there was a tidal wave that wiped the whole town of Baler. Only 7 families who climbed the top of Ermita hill survived. 


By the way, there is a viewing deck on top of the hill (where I did my vanity shot :P )


6. Lukso lukso islet
Scenic place to walk around


7. Baler church
I don’t buy most of the Catholic teachings, but because my friend was attending the Sunday mass and I had nothing else to do – I went with her. It’s a nice little church I guess. There were also flat screens for those who are outside.


8. Sabang beach!!!
When my friend and I arrived, the cloud was dark and heavy because of the low pressure area. The waves were big so we were naturally terrified! Nonetheless with the help of my instructor, Jun, from Michael Surf Shop & Surf Lesson I was able to ride the waves in no time! I got worn out quickly though – I stopped the session in less than 30 minutes because my arms cannot push my body up anymore. Yep Im classic lampayatot :D


I’ll come back next time, but I’ll be stronger. By the way, parts of my arms were itchy and swelling after surfing so perhaps there are jellyfish in the area. 

C. Getting Around

You can rent a motorbike to go around and tour the province yourself or you can rent a tricycle for 800php. 

Day 1

Rent a tricycle for the day (800php) since the following places are not in the city itself. Start around 8am so you can take your time in each place.

Balete tree
Ditumabo falls
Lunch
Ermita hill
Lukso- lukso islet
Day 2

You can ride a tricycle to Sabang beach and then commute back to the plaza after lunch. All the places after Sabang beach are just short walking distance from each other. Tricycle fare per head is 12php.

Sabang beach
Lunch
Baler museum
Dona Aurora house
Baler church
Souvenir shops
You can contact Kuya Edwin if you want a guide / photographer. Look at some of the shots we got with his direction, haha!



Edwin Alino
Tricycle/ Tour guide service
0936 708 1666

D. Sample budget

Manila to Baler – 450php
Baler to Manila – 450php
Accommodation – 700/day/2pax
Tour guide – 800/2pax
Surfing instructor – 350
Food – 300 to 500

Your budget can range from 3000 – 4000 including souvenirs and what not depending on your profile as a traveler. I spent around 3500 all in.

Overall I absolutely enjoyed this trip! The people were nice and the food was cheap and good. After trying surfing for the first time, I realized that the outdoors make me feel so alive. It is not just trekking, or swimming, or snorkeling but mostly everything about the outdoors captivate me!

Would you look at that, I just wrote 31 blogs and the year is almost over. The holidays are almost over.  Holidays are really the quickest days of the year. Sadly we cannot slow it down, but we can take it slow and make it count.

See you around!
Arlet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!