December 31, 2014

2014: Just Did It!

Analysis paralysis. I was afraid of making mistakes in my life. This same fear paralyzed me into inaction late last year. January of 2014 was unwelcome. I didn’t want to start another year while I was in such a mess – no job, no money, no direction, no plans, no present and future on sight.

The only thing I knew then was that I wanted to see more of the world. Nothing else mattered. So nothing else, I did. Fortunately though, a headhunter chanced upon my LinkedIn profile and offered me an opportunity. It wasn’t exactly my dream job, but it was better than nothing. My mentality was that I can always quit if I hate it. Hence, giving it a chance wouldn’t hurt, right?

Lesson 1. Opportunity knocks from time to time, but we must be prepared to grab it.
Accepting and keeping an opportunity that I wasn’t sure of? Just did it!

A few months after getting a job, I decided to move out of my parents’ house and live on my own. It was one of the most liberating and educating things I’ve done for myself. At first, I was skeptical of my capability to survive on my own, but now I’m sure that I can. It wasn’t as smooth sailing as I hoped it to be, but it was fun nonetheless.

Lesson 2. Sometimes, we never really know for sure unless we try.
Live on my own? Just did it!

After separating from my parents, my expenses blew up. I was worried that I might have to stop traveling. That, I knew I couldn’t take so I made a new budget plan and stuck to it. I used a new expense tracker to keep my finances in check. Currently, I’m unable to travel internationally, but it doesn’t matter as there’s still much to see here.

Lesson 3. You don’t have to stop doing what you love to follow society’s priorities, just as you don’t have to stop playing games when you’re older. It is not selfish to want happiness for yourself so long as you’re not taking it from others.

Paid my own bills and still pursue my travels? Just did it!

I did it- achievements and mistakes alike. It was a year of taking over my life, of making myself a priority - and not just listening to what other people want, need, or expect from me (Gets mo ba yun ha, Popoy?! Hahaha!) This year, I am fully responsible. I liked that.

So 2015, leave it to me, I got this.

Happy New Year, folks!
Arlet

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Awwe, Dien, ang sweet nun. HAHAHA happy new year! see you :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you made it Arlet. :) hopefully I can fully smile alongside you this 2015. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mendy! For everything :) wag ka magalala ipipilit natin yang smile na yan :P

      Delete
  3. Happy new year, Arlet! Onward! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arlet! Good job living on your own. :) Keep moving forward and let's see each other soon~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. King! I miss you so much! Tara let's all go out nila Love tapos sleepover ka samin :P Haha!

      Delete

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!