March 11, 2013

Looking for Alaska

"She had the kind of eyes that predisposed you to supporting her every endeavor"

courtesy of redbubble.com

I am not a fan of Alaska, but I did like the book. I imagine liking it more had I read it when I was still in my teenage years, and not now - when I "can" partially judge the characters as immature young adults. 

The book presented various metaphors and interesting characters. I like metaphors; I like being able to anticipate what's going to happen (but I hate it when what's going to happen is so cliche that the story is just overly predictable.) 

On the story

I said it before, I am not comfortable of not knowing or being unable to explain what happened, but I guess, John Green, the author, does not care about my comfort zone. Thus, he made a book without a resolve in it, a book which forces the readers to have peace of mind despite not knowing.

On characters 

The characters are all well thought of and developed. Each has his / her own x-factor. 

1. Alaska - Again, I am not a fan of Alaska. I think that she is a careless and selfish person - a person who does not care about the feelings of her friends, a person who just wants to escape her pains even if it will hurt the people who care about her. But I don't blame her; she drowned herself with guilt. Guilt (among other negative emotions), when kept too long, is poison 

2. Pudge - I find Pudge hot for the sole reason that he has an interesting hobby (memorizing famous last words of people, and reading writers' biographies instead of their works.) Other than that, he is just an ordinary character depicting an ordinary teenage boy. 

3. Colonel - Colonel is my 3rd favorite character because I think that his answer for the worst day/best day game is just the sweetest dream I have ever heard. His conviction to achieve his aspiration inspires me. 

4. Eagle - Eagle is my 2nd favorite character because of his adamant adherence to what he thinks is wrong or right. I find people who standby their principles at all times as trustworthy. Likewise, I am wary of people who have values only when it's convenient.

5. Hyde - Hyde is my favorite character! Everything he said made sense. He has wisdom and reason, and he shares it. He would be my perfect professor if he can make the subject more interesting via encouraging class discussions.

Overall 

The book is not excellent, but it has its beauty. It tells us that sometimes, the forgiveness that we ultimately need will not come from others, but from ourselves. It tells us that sometimes, we will not have answers at all, but we have to live with it. At least, that's what it told me :) 

Quotes from the book

1. I'll talk. You'll listen. As you can see, I'm not young anymore. And as much as I'd want to discuss with you, my time is short. So you should listen. I'm sure you're smart, but I've been smart longer.

2. Be present in the moment.
3. Imagining the future is kind of nostalgia.
4. Love your crooked neighbor with your crooked heart.
5. Parents should not have to bury their children.
6. I am irretrievably different. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!