January 27, 2014

Sinulog is One Proof

We celebrate events without understanding them, and why not? Aren't we all guilty of nodding approval without the littlest bit of comprehension?

When I attended Sinulog, I know nothing about the festival. When I went home from Sinulog, I still know nothing about it. But I certainly enjoyed it! Colors, smiles, chanting, dancing, gorgeous faces (and bodies!), adorable trinkets, loud music, lively crowd, what's not to enjoy?

Well I am unsure if he was smiling, but he is definitely charming!

If there were a Miss Congeniality award

Of course I need to have my vanity shot too, HAHAHA

Face mask necklaces

Aside from the highly festive environment in Sinulog, I also like it because it showcases the ingenuity, creativity, and cheerfulness of the Filipinos. But most of all, I love Sinulog because it is one proof that we can beat the "Pwede Na Yan" mentality. "Pwede na yan roughly translates to "That's okay" which is almost always used by Filipinos as an excused to be mediocre in any undertakings.

Nothing in Sinulog festival is mediocre: just take a look at how elaborately crafted the costumes of the participants are, or the permanent smiles of the participants throughout the day, or even the backbreaking steps of some of the dance groups. One look and you know that lots of people worked hard together to make that one Sunday beautiful and lovely. And that is admirable.

Viva Pit Senyor!
Arlet

PS

Sinulog means "flow of the river." During Sinulog festival, different groups perform a dance resembling the flow of the river (which includes 2 steps forward and 1 step backward). The festival used to symbolize gratitude of the locals to to the Cebuano pagan gods, but was later celebrated in honor of the Sto. Nino or the child  image of Jesus Christ.

I find this painting very interesting since the anitos are kept in the background while the lady prays to the Sto. Nino.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ooops, watch out for the captcha!